New Zealand Certificate in Baking (Generalist)
Do you have an interest in cakes, pastries and dough? Learn the magic of baking with our brand new course.
Baking is one of the oldest professions in the world and demands commitment, a hard-working attitude and a passion for food. By gaining this qualification, you’ll be able to either undertake further study in cookery or patisserie at Diploma level, or pursue employment opportunities in a commercial bakery.
In this course you will learn both the practical knowledge and theory behind working in a commercial bakery including practical skills such as creating speciality breads and doughs, as well as a variety of sweets.
You will also learn about bakery science and quality management, safe food practices and workplace safety, workplace interactions and standard operating procedures in a bakery.
You will complete the following four modules:
- Workplace safety, bakery systems, breads and doughs
- Workplace interactions and operations, sponges, cakes and cookies
- Bakery science, quality management and sweets
- Bakery production and pastry
2019 Intake Dates
- 21 January
- 1 April
50 weeks including 10 weeks of holiday.
- Be atleast 17 years old
- NCEA Level 1 or equivalent, or have industry experience. An interview may be required.
- If English is a second language an IETLS (Academic) score of atleast 5.5, or NZQA approved equivalent
If you do not meet these requirements but are over 20 years of age, you may still be admitted if the motivation and skills needed to succeed in the programme are shown. You need to be physically able to do the practical parts of this programme.
Get More Info
Employment opportunities include bakery and patisserie work in
- Specialised bakery stores
- Bakery product manufacturers
Domestic Students: $6,988.00
Student loans and allowances are available through Study Link
New Zealand Certificate in Baking (Generalist) – Level 4