New Zealand Certificate in Baking (Generalist) with Internship
Baking is one of the oldest professions in the world and demands commitment, a hard-working attitude and a passion for food. This course teaches you the full array of baking techniques and offers you a five week internship in a commercial kitchen. After this course you can go on to study either cookery or patisserie or pursue employment opportunities in a commercial bakery.
In this course you will learn both the practical knowledge and theory behind working in a commercial bakery including practical skills such as creating speciality breads and doughs, as well as a variety of sweets.
You will also learn about bakery science and quality management, safe food practices and workplace safety, workplace interactions and standard operating procedures in a bakery.
Five week internship: The last five weeks of your course will be spent working in a commercial kitchen as part of an internship. For many students this may be a paid internship, and for all students, working in a highly ranked restaurant will give you invaluable industry experience and contacts.
You will complete the following four modules:
- Workplace safety, bakery systems, breads and doughs
- Workplace interactions and operations, sponges, cakes and cookies
- Bakery science, quality management and sweets
- Bakery production and pastry
- Five week paid internship
Employment opportunities include bakery and patisserie work in
- Specialised bakery stores
- Bakery product manufacturers
- Candidates must be 17 years or older.
- Candidates must have:
- NCEA Level 1, or equivalent; or industry experience.
- IELTS (academic) score of at least 5.5, or NZQA-approved equivalent (for international students who speak English as a second language).
- An interview may be required.
Get More Info
2019 Intake Dates
- 21 January
- 1 April
50 weeks including 10 weeks of holiday.
- Tuition fees: NZ$19,950.00
- Course fees: NZ$2,100.00
New Zealand Certificate in Baking (Generalist) – Level 4