New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (Cookery Strand)
This programme expands on the Level 4 Certificate and will provide you with an increased capability in advanced culinary techniques. It is ideal if you have some experience in cookery and are looking to graduate and enter the industry in more advanced roles.
You will cover the following four modules:
Kitchen Management: In this block you will be offered an introduction to academic writing which will set you up for future work. You will learn key skills in the fields of financial management, human resources, staff development, business ethics, kitchen design briefs and regulatory requirements.
Products and Production Systems: On the theory side you will investigate historical culinary influences and will compare artisan methods in the mass production of culinary products. The practical skills taught include the cooking and presenting of a range of advanced food items using a variety of production methods.
Kitchen Design: In this module you will get to design a commercial kitchen layout and investigate regional cuisines from around the world, including their nutritional impacts. Practical work will cover a range of advanced international cuisines.
Menu Development: The final block offers you the skills and insights to establish positive workplace relationships. You will learn about the development, marketing, preparation and cooking of an original menu for a commercial hospitality environment.
- Candidates must be 17 years or older.
- Candidates must have:
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4), or equivalent; or
- Three years' relevant and current industry experience.
- IELTS score of at least 5.5 (with no band lower than 5.0), or an NZQA-approved equivalent (for international students who speak English as a second language).
- An interview may be required.
- New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) - Level 5
48 weeks including 8 weeks of holiday.
Get More Info
- Café Head Chef
- Medical Facility First Cook
- Industrial Catering Sous Chef
- Hotel Sous Chef
- Catering and Events Junior Sous Chef
- Restaurant Sous Chef
- Rest home First Cook
2019 Intake Dates
- 21 January
- 25 February
- 1 April
- 13 May
- 17 June
- 29 July
- 2 September
- 14 October
- Tuition fees: NZ$19,950.00
- Course fees: NZ$1,150.00*
*If you are enrolling directly into the New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (Level 5) without first completing the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4) with NSIA, the compulsory course cost increases to $2,000.00.
The New Zealand Government has imposed an international student levy on tuition and course related fees. From 1 January 2019 the levy will be 0.89% of the compulsory tuition fees.