New Zealand Certificate in Cookery with Internship
Turn your passion for food in to a career!
The New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4) will give you the practical experience and skills you need to study at a higher level, or work in a range of culinary environments, plus you'll undertake a five week internship to give you industry experience. For many students this may be a paid internship, and for all students, working in a highly ranked restaurant will be great experience for their CV.
You will cover the following four modules:
Junior Commis: here you will be introduced to food safety, effective kitchen working practices, staff interaction and standard operating procedures within a commercial food service environment. Your practical training will focus on cold-larder work, marinades, dressings and cold sauces, stocks, soups, and egg dishes.
Commis Chef: in this module you will be taught about risk assessment, customer expectations, communication, teamwork and general supervision. You will learn the practical skills required to create cocktail foods, complex sauces, fish, seafood, vegetable and rice dishes.
Demi Chef de Partie: health and safety legislation is covered in this module while practical training is focused on meat, pulses and grains.
Chef de Partie: in this final module you will be given the practical skills to make pasta, pastry, desserts, cakes and dough.
Five week internship: The last five weeks of your course will be spent working in a commercial kitchen as part of an internship. This will give you invaluable real-life industry experience and contacts.
50 weeks including 10 weeks of holiday.
- Be at least 17 years old.
- Hold NCEA Level 1 or other secondary school qualification (equivalent to Year 11 from a New Zealand TEO).
- If you do not meet these requirements you may still be enrolled if the motivation and the skills needed to succeed in the programme are shown. Please note that you should be physically able to do the practical components of this programme.
- Have an IELTS score of at least 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0 or equivalent if English is your second language.
Domestic Students: $8,023.00
Student loans and allowances are available through Study Link
Get More Info
- Cafe Sous Chef
- Medical Facility 2nd Cook
- Industrial Catering Demi Chef de Partie
- Hotel Demi Chef de Partie
- Catering and Events Demi Chef de Partie
- Restaurant Chef de Partie
- Rest Home Assistant Cook
2019 Intake Dates
13 May 2019
17 June 2019
29 July 2019
2 September 2019
14 October 2019
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery - Level 4
- Food Safety Certificate