New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (Cookery Strand)
Do you dream of becoming a top chef?
This programme expands on the Level 4 Certificate and will provide you with increased capability in advanced culinary techniques. It is ideal if you have some experience in cookery and are looking to graduate and enter the industry in more advanced roles.
You will cover the following four modules:
Kitchen Management: in this block you will be offered an introduction to academic writing which will set you up for future work. You will learn key skills in the fields of financial management, human resources, staff development, business ethics, kitchen design briefs and regulatory requirements.
Products and Production Systems: on the theory side you will investigate historical culinary influences and will compare artisan methods in the mass production of culinary products. The practical skills taught include the cooking and presenting of a range of advanced food items using a variety of production methods.
Kitchen Design: in this module you will get to design a commercial kitchen layout and investigate regional cuisines from around the world, including their nutritional impacts. Practical work will cover a range of advanced international cuisines.
Menu Development: the final block offers you the skills and insights to establish positive workplace relationships. You will learn about the development, marketing, preparation and cooking of an original menu for a commercial hospitality environment.
48 weeks including 8 weeks of holiday.
- Be at least 17 years old.
- Have an overall IELTS score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0 (with an academic endorsement), or an NZQA framework recognised equivalent, if English is your second language.
- Hold NCEA Level 2 (48 Level 2 credits including eight of which are in a language rich subject) or a
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery or Bakery (Level 4), or equivalent or
- Have three years relevant and current industry experience (the tasks undertaken require evidence of competence in cookery, maths and English).
Get More Info
- Cafe Head Chef
- Medical Facility First Cook
- Industrial Catering Sous Chef
- Hotel Sous Chef
- Catering and Events Junior Sous Chef
- Restaurant Sous Chef
- Rest home First Cook
2017 Intake Dates
- 2 October
- Tuition fees: $6,867.00
- Compulsory course costs: $1,000.00
Student loans and allowances are available through StudyLink.
- New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) - Level 5
Key Information For Students
New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (Level 5)
Tuition Fees - Total Qualification
National Graduate outcomes
(3 years after completion)
Note: all KIS information is the most recent available relating to domestic students only.