NSIA is a signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. We recognise the special needs of international students, for many of whom, it would be their first “away from home experience”. As a student of NSIA you can be assured that you will find support from sympathetic people who will understand your needs. Our students are important and we value their knowledge, abilities and past experiences. NSIA has an excellent range of student support networks to help you achieve the most from your Diploma and language studies. The Student Services support teams at NSIA are here to assist you with any questions you may have including:
NSIA has robust guidance and support systems in place to ensure that students are supported to achieve their expected programme outcomes.
- Student support is available on issues involving cultural adaptation; learning and communication difficulties; educational guidance; internal and external appeal/grievance procedures. The Student Service Team will provide advice on issues such as medical health services, mental health services, drug education, counseling, problem gambling as well as access to other health services.
- Study support is available to NSIA diploma students by prior appointment. This can be one-to-one or small group basis (the student must make appointment with the facilitator one week in advance via email). The learning support staff provides support where available in issues involving effective learning, essay writing, research, communication and academic writing skills.
- Administration support is available to you regarding enrolment details, student records, academic progress, studying schedule arrangement, etc.
- Homestay arrangements are available to international students on request. Students must complete the Accommodation Application Form if you would like to live with a home stay family. NSIA will endeavor to find a home stay family for you in 10 working days, according to your requirement stated in the application. All homestay families in the NSIA homestay programme are carefully selected and police vetted
NSIA charges $200 for each home stay arrangement and $100 per airport pick up if required. The arrangement service includes:
- selection suitable, quality home stay families
- pre-placement inspections of house and family by homestay coordinator
- regular monitoring of homestay as required under the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care for international students
- Mange the student’s homestay fees (for under 18’s)
- Approve student holiday and travel arrangements within New Zealand (for under 18’s)
- Online student visa application service is available to you for lodging the student visa application to Immigration New Zealand online. NSIA serves as a student online partner of Immigration New Zealand. In general, the online visa application process will be faster than the manual application. The application fee is $150.
- Student loan and allowance: New Zealand citizens and eligible permanent residents are able to apply for student loans and allowances to study at NSIA. Assistance with applications to StudyLink is available.
NZ Immigration Service: www.immigration.govt.nz
Eligibility for Health Services: www.moh.govt.nz
Accident Insurance: www.acc.co.nz
New Zealand Ministry of Education: www.minedu.govt.nz
New Zealand Qualification Authority: www.nzqa.govt.nz
Hospitality Standards Institute: www.hsi.co.nz
Restaurant Association: www.restaurantnz.co.nz
New Zealand Police: www.police.govt.nz
24 hours school emergency contact number: +64 21 900 706